Sunday 27 February 2011

Climate Change Poetry in Pontardawe


I had a message last Friday lunchtime to ask if I would be free to take some photographs that evening for Awel Amen Tawe a South Wales community energy charity who were holding a ceremony to announce the winners of their Climate Change poetry competition at Pontardawe Arts Centre. The event was organised by Emily Hinshelwood, a former winner of the John Tripp Spoken Poetry Award in 2003 and contained readings by National Poet for Wales, Gillian Clarke, the internationally acclaimed poet Menna Elfyn, Susan Richardson, one of BBC Radio 4's resident poets on 'Saturday Live' and 2009 John Tripp Award winner Dafydd Wyn. The English language entries for the competition were judged by Gillian Clarke and the Welsh language winners judged by Menna Elfyn. It was a very well-attended event and a first return for me to Pontardawe Arts Centre for almost a year. I've attached a selection of images of the poets who read and the prizewinners of the competition I took which I hope give a flavour of the event.





No comments: